Sunday, September 14, 2008

Abusing God's Word

Okay, my babies are both sick. They are puking, have fevers, and sore throats AKA strep. Oh yeah, Audree has another ear infection, but I've just come accustomed to the fact that she always does. Seriously I've lost count! She is having tubes Thursday! PRAISE THE LORD!!!!! Anyway, all of that to say that I watched church on TV today instead of going! Bummer cause I really love the series and message that our Pastor is giving!!!!!

Anyway, I watched this pastor on tv this morning use and abuse what the Bible said and the worse part is he had an audience. I literally sat and typed what he said because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I won't give you the whole sermon, but let me highlight and summarize a few things he said.
  • It was the whole give to receive in this lifetime sermon.
  • God blessed him with designer clothes and he has so many people buy him clothes he has the tags hanging off of some.
  • He said if you give to God (AKA his ministry) now, you will receive blessings 100 fold
  • He said "Some may say that they do not believe that you don't give to receive financial blessings then I have one song for them" "How dumb thou art, How dumb thou art" He literally broke out into song!
  • If you don't believe the scripture that says "Give and you shall receive" than why bother believing John 3:16 or anything else the Bible says?
  • If you are going to doubt the Bible wouldn't you rather doubt the bad like hell than verses about receiving blessings?
  • These are just some of what he said!!! It was a good 30 minutes worth of this nonsense!
Then the time comes to ask us for money. "HOLD YOUR WALLETS TOWARDS THE TV AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE DRAW A PICTURE OF ONE!" Here's what he said about giving to his ministry.
  • I'm gonna pray this prayer of blessing and a miracle for 1,000 of you. 1,000 of you to give 1,000 in 90 days.
  • I'm gonna pray that 1. you will receive financial blessing 2. you will have a debt free house 3. that God will send someone in your life that has seen that you have given and invest in your life and give to you financially. He elaborated on this point by saying you don't have to have everyone like you just one person that has the resources to invest in your life
  • The end times are coming and you want to have a debt free house more now than ever, so be 1 of the 1,000 that will receive that blessing and give today. (A definite fear tactic.)
  • It may be from a bonus you recieve or if a love one passes away and leaves something in a will.
I can go on and on! I can't believe people listen to this and preach this. What an absolute abuse of God's word and intentions for kingdom growth!

Do you think God wants us to love Him and give to Him so that we can use Him to receive financial gain? I don't know about you, but I prefer not to have friends that like me because of what I can give them. I have had them and they suck! Those friends are the most deceitful and hurtful to me to tell you the truth! I have been used by a friend to help them get what they want and I am still bitter that their intentions of our friendship had ulterior motives behind them!

I know that I want people to love me just because. They love me, respect me, do things for me just because..... I also am friends with others because I love them and respect them. I want to do things for them just for the pure intention of bringing them joy and hang out with them just cause I like to. That is my interpretation of the relationship that Christ wants with me. I give because I love him so much and I want the blessings of that to be kingdom growth not financial gain!!!! I am blessed just because God loves me!

Let me tell you how I really feel! :)

Thoughts?

8 comments:

Regular, with half and half and raw sugar said...

I agree. We have talked time and again about how sad it is that the christian channel puts those who speak unbiblically on their channel. That is why it is so important for people to read the Bible and test everyone's words against it!

Jake said...

wasn't that dave on tv this morning......

JUST KIDDING, Bishop.

Lambchop's Mimi said...

Okay, I think it's time. Time to read The Shack. Hope you'll feel up to it soon. It is a wonderful book. Finished it today!

chargerrt said...

Okay, this is my first time to post anything to a blog, but thought I would give it a try - by the way, I'm lambchop's brother. Sorry to hear about the kids being sick, I hope they get well soon. Also sorry to hear about you being laid up - hope you have a speedy recovery also - and it sounds like you need to find a different Church service to watch on Sunday mornings.

Anonymous said...

I'm picking up on a theme on your blog. Seems like you are counting your blessings even with all that you've gone through lately.

Chalk up another one of your blessings... you can discern charlatans. Lucky girl, think of all the mindless sheeple that fall victim to these fools each day. Very tragic, don't you think?

P.S. Thanks for posting the IKE pics. It's just sad down here. I miss your mom.

Katie said...

Let me guess, Joel Osteen was preaching.

Amber Elder said...

I actually enjoyed watching Joel Olsteen!! He makes me feel HAPPY and helps me discover the champion within me! :) This was a different dude!

Anonymous said...

Yo, don't mess with our home boy, will sic Victoria on ya'